Networking & Educational Seminar
for Lymphedema Therapists
Newport Beach, CA
November 3-5, 2017
*** NOTE: There will be an OPTIONAL pre-seminar WORKSHOP on Friday, November 3, from 2-5:30 pm (3 contact hours)
for an additional $99*, with Karen Ashforth, MS, OTR, CHT, CLT-LANA: "Fibrosis Treatment: Reduce Pain & Lymphedema, Improve Function"
(*You may attend this Presentation & the Reception without attending the full seminar, for $129 or $159 including the Friday evening presentation.)
(Registration is on the general Registration Form.)
Friday evening, November 3 - Sunday noon, November 5, 2017
FRIDAY: (5 possible contact hours)
1:00-2:00 p.m.: Registration for Pre-Seminar Workshop & Seminar
2:00-5:30 p.m.: Optional
Pre-Seminar Workshop: Karen Ashforth, MS, OTR, CHT, CLT-LANA: "Fibrosis Treatment: Reduce Pain & Lymphedema, Improve Function" (3 contact hours)
5:30-7:00 p.m.: Registration/ Hors D'oeuvres Reception/ Exhibits/ Demos
7:00-9:00 p.m.: Eva Sevick, PhD: "Real-Time, Point-of-Care Imaging of the Lymphatics" (2 contact hours)
SATURDAY: (7 contact hours)
7:30 a.m. through 6:00 p.m.
SUNDAY: (3 contact hours)
7:30 a.m. through 12 noon
Hoag Health Center
Conference Rooms 5 & 6 (first floor, rear)
520 Superior Ave
Newport Beach, CA 92663
FREE PARKING in Structures A & B
HOTEL: (1 mile from the hospital)
Holiday Inn Express Newport Beach
2300 West Coast Highway
Newport Beach, CA 92663
Call for Reservations and ask for the discounted Lymph Seminar
rate of only $129/night!
This hotel is 7.5 miles from the John Wayne Airport (SNA).
Hotel parking is $12/night, but there is free WiFi and:
SEMINAR FEE: only $389.00
- Coffee Maker & Mini Refrigerator
- Flat screen TV
- Iron and ironing board
- Hair dryer
- Fitness Center
- Outdoor Pool
- Complimentary shuttle (5-mile radius)
- 7.5 miles from SNA (John Wayne Airport)
Optional Pre-Seminar WORKSHOP + Reception: $129 (or $99 with seminar)
WORKSHOP + RECEPTION + FRIDAY EVE PRESENTATION: $159 (5 contact hours)
Karen Ashforth, MS, OTR, CHT, CLT-LANA: "Fibrosis Treatment: Reduce Pain & Lymphedema, Improve Function" and "How to Develop Your Documentation Superpowers"
Eva Sevick, PhD: "Real-Time, Point-of-Care Imaging of the Lymphatics"
Missy Baylor, OTR, LMT, CLT-LANA: "Integrating Wound Care and Lymphedema"
Lesli Bell, DPT, CLT-LANA: "Treating Breast & Truncal Lymphedema"
Jay Granzow, MD: "Update on Lymphedema Surgery"
Shoosh Lettick Crotzer, MS: "Yoga & Lymphedema"
Heidi Miranda-Walsh, OTR, CHT, CLT-LANA: "Treating Head & Neck Lymphedema"
CONTACT HOURS: 15
(including the optional Friday Workshop)
Lymphedema Seminars is an Approved Provider #8208 for Continuing Education by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA). We also have approval for CEUs for PTs in California CPTA#: 17-289.
Shoosh Crotzer, Lymphedema Seminars, 805.772.3560
SEMINAR PROGRAM SCHEDULE: see Program below
PLEASE TELL US OF YOUR SPECIAL NEEDS:
- Identify five different types of soft tissue fibrosis
- Identify three differentiating factors between radiation fibrosis and lymphostatic fibrosis
- Describe anatomy and physiology of wound healing phases
- Identify the types of wounds and skin breakdowns which most commonly affect lymphedema patients
- Identify signs and symptoms of infection
- Describe best practices for skin cleansing for lymphedema patients
- Select appropriate wound dressing options used in conjunction with lymphedema bandages
- Recognize breast lymphedema and trunk/chest wall congestion
- Understand scar tissue/radiation fibrosis management with manual and taping techniques
- Learn self-care options for patients
- Understand the impact of edema/lymphedema on patients function during cancer treatment
- Identify the types of lymphedema surgery
- Understand the safety and efficacy of lymphedema surgery
- Understand the precautions for liposuction and lymph node transfers for lymphedema
- Understand how adapted yoga can be beneficial for quality of life for those with lymphedema
- Identify the specific yoga poses that are beneficial for improving lymphatic flow
- Apply the adapted yoga poses into a specific sequence
- Brainstorm and discuss methods and alternatives for various aspects of lymphedema treatment in a round table discussion
- Develop resources and networking connections with other lymphedema therapists
- Develop problem-solving and clinical reasoning skills for advanced level lymphedema treatment through interactive discussion with other lymphedema therapists
- Discuss the rationales/guidelines for H&N compression
- Identify appropriate vs inappropriate compression strategies
- List resources for obtaining compression materials/supplies
- Name three qualifying diagnoses for Medicare coverage for pneumatic compression
- Identify four different action words to describe skilled care
- Name the components of conservative treatment
When filling out your application, please inform us of any special needs you might have, either physical, sensory or cognitive. We are fully committed to accommodating the special needs of participants and will do everything possible for requests received two weeks before the seminar. Special needs and dietary requests can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
REFUND / COMPLAINT POLICY:
If you are unable to attend a seminar that you have paid for, our preference is to offer credit towards a future seminar valid for one year. If this is not possible, we will refund the entire amount of payment if a written request is sent more than 14 days prior to the seminar, or if there is a valid medical reason for not being able to attend. If a seminar is cancelled by Lymphedema Seminars for any reason, we will provide a full credit for a future seminar valid for one year. Lymphedema Seminars will not be responsible for non-refundable airfare or other incurred costs for arriving to the course, and will make every effort to contact attendees in a timely fashion if a course has to be canceled. If there are any complaints, please send them to us in writing and we will respond within 7 days.