Networking & Educational Seminar
for Lymphedema Therapists
Tuality Health Education Center
September 27-29, 2013
Participants learned to:
- Differentiate among levels of evidence for multiple self-care techniques
- Identify at least three psychosocial issues that influence self-care
- Discuss a re-conceptualized definition of lymphedema and it's influence upon self-care education
- Identify the physiology of obesity and be able to list some common approaches to managing obesity.
- Outline at least three reasons that obesity contributes to lymphedema.
- Identify specific information about clinic accommodations that are helpful for managing obese patients.
- Identify the difference between the fluid and solid states of limbs with lymphedema
- Identify the progression from fluid to solid states in chronic lymphedema
- Identify the different surgical options for lymphedema;
- Identify the appropriate selection of surgical lymphedema options;
- Identify the integration of surgical options for lymphedema into a comprehensive lymphedema treatment system
- Brainstorm and discuss methods and alternatives for various aspects of lymphedema treatment in a round table discussion.
- Develop resources and networking connections with other lymphedema therapists.
- Develop problem-solving and clinical reasoning skills for advanced level lymphedema treatment through interactive discussion with other lymphedema therapists.
- Identify four different types of soft tissue fibrosis
- Identify three differentiating factors between radiation fibrosis and lymphostatic fibrosis
- Name two functional impairments associated with fibrosis
- Recognize the mission of the ALFP and the stakeholders.
- Identify key implications of the ALFP on lymphedema treatment
- Identify future directions for lymphedema practice, education, and research.