Networking & Educational Seminar
for Lymphedema Therapists
Eisenhower Medical Center
Rancho Mirage (near Palm Springs), CA
May 1-3, 2015
Friday, may 1 - Sunday noon, May 3, 2015
1:30-5:30 p.m.: Optional Pre-Seminar Workshop (4 contact hours)
5:30-7:30 p.m.: Hors D'oeuvres Wine Reception/Exhibits/Demos/Registration
SATURDAY: 8:30 a.m. through 6:00 p.m.
SUNDAY: 8:30 a.m. through 12:00 noon
LOCATION: Eisenhower Medical Center, Rancho Mirage (near Palm Springs), CA.
Annenberg Center for Health Sciences; 39000 Bob Hope Drive, Rancho Mirage, CA 92270.
Andrea Brennan, OTD, OTR/L, CLT-LANA: "Elastic Taping for Lymphedema" and "Edema and the Revised Starling Equation for Fluid Exchange" and Moderator for the Interactive Sessions
Alexander Nyugen, MD, FACS: "Breast Cancer-Related Lymphedema Surgery: Past, Present & Future"
Brad Smith, MS, CCC-SLP, CLT: "Compression Options for Head & Neck Lymphedema" and "MLD Pathways for Head & Neck Lymphedema"
Bob Weiss, MS: "Update on Medicare and Lymphedema"
OBJECTIVES Eisenhower Medical Center, Rancho Mirage, CA
Participants learned to:
- Understand the anatomy of the cardiovascular/lymphvascular system
- Understand the physiology of the cardiovascular/lymphatic system
- Understand the pathophysiology of the cardiovascular/lymphatic system
- Understand the pathophysiology of the lymphatic system and its relation to chronic edema and lymphedema
- Discuss the application for decongestive lymphatic therapy
- Understand the types of medical imaging possible to assess the lymphatic vasculature, including near-infrared fluorescence lymphatic imaging
- Differentiate "normal" from "abnormal" lymphatic function
- Recognize conditions/diseases in which the lymphatic vasculature can play a critical role
- Discuss H&N lymphedema (HNL) and its impact
- Explain basic MLD strategies and variations
- Demonstrate potential future treatment options
- Discuss the rationales/guidelines for H&N compression
- Identify appropriate vs inappropriate compression strategies
- List resources for obtaining compression materials/supplies
- Demonstrate basic compression strategies for H&N lymphedema
- Discuss advanced compression strategies
- Brainstorm and discuss methods and alternatives for various aspects of lymphedema treatment in a round table discussion.
- Develop resources and networking connections with other lymphedema therapists.
- Develop problem-solving and clinical reasoning skills for advanced level lymphedema treatment through interactive discussion with other lymphedema therapists
- Classify the surgical options for lymphedema
- Describe the risks, benefits, and indications of different surgical options for lymphedema
- Discuss the growing innovations in the surgical management of lymphedema
- Identify the origins of our healthcare coverage relating to the reimbursement of lymphedema treatment services.
- Identify 2015 changes to Medicare delivery and reimbursement, issues affecting lymphedema treatment delivery.Recognize key therapy billing and coding issues, functional limitations coding problems, and therapy cap and exception information.