Networking & Educational Seminar
for Lymphedema Therapists
May 17-19, 2013
Participants learned to:
- Understand the Prospective Surveillance Model (PSM) for early detection and treatment of lymphedema.
- Identify key time points during breast cancer care for ongoing assessment of and education about lymphedema.
- Apply the PSM to their lymphedema practice.
- Recognize early warning signs of breast/trunk edema and lymphedema.
- Develop a comprehensive evaluation and plan of care for treatment of breast/trunk edema and lymphedema.
- Understand the components of successful documentation of the evaluation and managment of breast and truncal edema.
- Identify several quantitative and qualitative measures commonly used in lymphedema therapy practices.
- Recognize pragmatic considerations of commonly used measures.
- Develop appropriate measures for their lymphedema therapy practice.
- Recognize the mission of the ALFP and the stakeholders.
- Identify key implications of the ALFP on lymphedema treatment.
- Identify relevant anatomy and physiology of head and neck and their relevance to head and neck lymphedema.
- Describe and identify modified approaches for CDT in the treatment of head and neck lymphedema.
- Develop a better understanding of a practical and effective approach to managing patients with head and neck lymphedema.
- Differentiate methods and alternatives for various aspects of lymphedema treatment in a round table discussion.
- Develop resources and networking connections with other lymphedema therapists.
- Discuss the process and development of a reliable, validated instrument for assessing QOL for people diagnosed with lymphedema.
- Apply the Lymphedema QOL Questionnaire to the appropriate population to augment the evaluation of lymphedema patients.
- Contribute to lymphedema research by participating in the validation of a lymphedema-specific assessment.
- Recognize some of the red flags for lymphedema treatment.
- Identify implications of various co-morbidities and and how lymphedema treatment can be adapted.
- Identify some of the pros and cons of different surgical interventions.
- Identify new trends and research regarding exercise and lymphedema.
- Develop safe, effective, individualized exercise programs for lymphedema patients.
Shoosh Crotzer administered these seminars through Enhancement, Inc. until December, 2012. She intends to maintain the integrity and high standards from these previous seminars with Lymphedema Seminars.