(8 available contact hours)
Networking & Educational Workshop
for Lymphedema Therapists
Zoom Live-Streaming Online
"Obesity, Lymphedema & Lipedema: Practical, Psychosocial & Physical Concerns"
March 27, 2021
WORKSHOP DATE: Saturday, March 27, 2021
TIME: (**NOTE: ALL TIMES ARE IN Pacific Time)
(8 possible contact hours)
8:00 a.m.- 5:45 p.m.
WORKSHOP FEE: only $195.00
Thomas O'Donnell, MD: "Diagnosing & Evaluating Lymphedema & Lipedema"
Maureen McBeth, MPT, CLT-LANA: "Compression Strategies for Treating Obesity in Lymphedema & Lipedema Patients"
Karen Herbst, PhD, MD: "Psychosocial Issues for Lymphedema & Lipedema Patients"
Linda Anne Kahn, CIDESCO, HHP, CLT-LANA, NCTMB, CDT: "Overview of Lifestyle Choices for Diet & Nutrition for Lymphedema & Lipedema Patients"
CONTACT HOURS: 8
Lymphedema Seminars is an Approved Provider #8208 for Continuing Education by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA). The California Physical Therapy Association (CPTA)has also granted approval for 8.0 CEUs for PTs and PTAs, #CPTA-21-155. Therapists from other states should apply individually after the course. We also provide Certificates of Completion to all attendees.
WORKSHOP CONTACT: Shoosh Crotzer, Lymphedema Seminars, 805.772.3560
WORKSHOP PROGRAM SCHEDULE: see Program below
REFUND / COMPLAINT POLICY:
- Describe the major diagnostic modalities for diagnosing lymphedema and Lipidema.
- Contrast the clinical characteristics of Lymphedema with Lipedema to establish the diagnosis of each disorder.
- Evaluate responses to the treatment of lymphedema and lipidema.
- Identify the qualities unique to circular, flat knit and Velcro wrap garments.
- Identify diagnoses in need of lower extremity nighttime compression and the components needed to obtain optimal compression.
- Review how to measure for lower extremity garments.
- Describe orthopedic mechanics including spinal, shoulder and rib mobility that will improve scapulohumeral rhythm for patients after breast cancer surgery.
- Describe 3 treatment techniques that will address shoulder, scapular and breathing dysfunction contributing to upper quarter limitations for patients post breast cancer treatment.
- Identify a systematic approach to assessment to ensure all factors contributing to breast and trunk edema are recognized.
- Compare different assessment tools to quantify trunk and breast edema.
- Interpret findings of assessment to determine plan of care.
- Identify psychosocial issues faced by people living with lipedema and lymphedema.
- Link underlying physiology, co-morbidities and clinical measures to psychosocial issues faced by people living with lipedema and lymphedema.
- Discuss recent data on pain and quality of life that differentiate lipedema and lymphedema.
- Discuss treatments to improve the psychosocial situation for people living with lipedema and lymphedema.
- Provide examples of questionable literature on psychosocial issues faced by women living with lipedema.
- Describev at least three specific barriers to care for patients with the co-morbid diagnosis of obesity.
- Understand the specific needs and safety measures required to properly utilize compression therapy in patients with lymphedema/lipedema and morbid obesity.
- Develop a list of resources to get properly-fitting compression that is also cost effective.
- Recognize early signs of poorly fitting compression and how to adjust to optimize comfort and safety.
- Identify the inflammatory component of lymphedema and lipedema and chronic inflammation.
- Understand which foods trigger inflammation in the body and which reduce inflammation.
- Identify different eating plans for lymphedema and lipedema: paleolithic, anti-inflammatory, ketogenic, Mediterranean, Gaps and intermittent fasting.
- Understand the role of the microbiome and the importance of gut health for the lymphedema and lipedema patient.
If you are unable to attend this online workshop that you have paid for, our preference is to offer credit towards a future workshop or seminar valid for one year. If this is not possible, we will refund the entire amount of payment if a written request is sent more than 14 days prior to the seminar, or if there is a valid medical reason for not being able to participate. If a workshop is cancelled by Lymphedema Seminars for any reason, we will provide a full credit for a future workshop or seminar valid for one year. Lymphedema Seminars will make every effort to contact attendees in a timely fashion if a course has to be canceled. If there are any complaints, please send them to us in writing and we will respond within 7 days.