Networking & Educational Seminar
for Lymphedema Therapists
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute
March 25-26, 2017
Saturday, March 25 - Sunday, March 26, 2017
SATURDAY: (7 contact hours)
8:00 a.m. through 6:00 p.m.
6:00 - 8:00 p.m.: Wine & Hors D'Oeuvres Reception / EXHIBITS /DEMOS
SUNDAY: (6 contact hours)
8:00 a.m. through 4:30 p.m.
Courage Kenny Rehabilitation Institute, Allina Health at the Commons
Midtown Exchange, Pettingill Hall
2925 Chicago Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55407
Eva Sevick, PhD: "Real-Time, Point-of-Care Imaging of the Lymphatics"
Andrea Brennan, OTD, OTR/L, CLT-LANA, WCC: "Elastic Taping for Lymphedema" and "The Venous-Lymphatic Connection: Phlebolymphedema"
Heidi Miranda-Walsh, OTR, CHT, CLT-LANA: "Treating Head & Neck Lymphedema" and "MLD for Head & Neck Lymphedema"
Shoosh Lettick Crotzer, MS: "Yoga for Lymphedema"
Alexander T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, CLT: "Lymphedema Surgery: Past, Present & Future"
Maureen McBeth, MPT, CLT-LANA: "Advanced Treatment Techniques for Patients with Lymphedema & Obesity"
CONTACT HOURS: 13 hours
Lymphedema Seminars is an Approved Provider #8208 for Continuing Education by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA). We also have CEU approval from the Minnesota Board of Physical Therapy, Approval #9558. We will provide Certificates of Completion to all attendees.
Participants learned to:
- Describe the general and emerging methods for imaging lymphatic anatomy and function
- Identify chronic conditions, other than lymphedema, that impaired lymphatic function can occur
- Identify "normal" and "abnormal" lymphatic anatomy and function
- Discuss the rationales/guidelines for H&N compression
- Identify appropriate vs inappropriate compression strategies
- List resources for obtaining compression materials/supplies
- Demonstrate basic compression strategies for H&N lymphedema
- Explain basic MLD strategies and variations
- Demonstrate potential future treatment options for H&N
- Understand the pathophysiology of phlebolymphedema
- Identify disease progression in venous and lymphovenous disease
- Delineate the chronic conditions relating to or caused by veins that become diseased or abnormal
- Understand how adapted yoga can be beneficial for quality of life for those with lymphedema
- Identify the specific yoga poses that are beneficial for improving lymphatic flow
- Apply the adapted yoga poses into a specific sequence
- Brainstorm and discuss methods and alternatives for various aspects of lymphedema treatment in a round table discussion
- Develop resources and networking connections with other lymphedema therapists
- Develop problem-solving and clinical reasoning skills for advanced level lymphedema treatment through interactive discussion with other lymphedema therapists
- Understand history and theory of elastic tape
- Understand functions and properties of elastic tape
- Understand the principles of tape applications: cuts, tension, application and removal
- Understand indications and contraindications for the application of elastic tape
- Demonstrate application of elastic taping techniques for correction of swelling and soft tissue mobility, lymphedema, scar management and fascia and fibrosis correction
- Classify the surgical options for lymphedema
- Describe the risks, benefits, and indications of different surgical options for lymphedema
- Discuss the growing innovations in the surgical management of lymphedema
- Describe the general trends in worldwide obesity and their impact on healthcare and lymphedema therapy
- Understand the specific needs and safety measures needed for patients with lymphedema and morbid obesity
- Gain insight into the relevant research being done regarding lymphedema and morbid obesity
- Understand co-morbidities often associated with lymphedema and morbid obesity
- Develop a program for the advanced treatment strategies for obese lymphedema patients