Networking & Educational Seminar
for Lymphedema Therapists
CentraState Medical Center
March 6-8, 2015
SEMINAR DATE: Friday, March 6 - Sunday noon, March 8, 2015
4-5:30 p.m.: Optional Pre-Seminar Presentation (1.5 contact hours)
5:30-8:00 p.m.: Hors D'oeuvres Wine Reception/Exhibits/Demos/Registration
SATURDAY: 8:30 a.m. through 6:00 p.m.
SUNDAY: 8:30 a.m. through 12:00 noon
LOCATION: CentraState Medical Center, Freehold, NJ;
Star & Barry Tobias Ambulatory Campus, Conference Center Auditorium
901 West Main Street, Freehold, NJ 07728
HOTEL: Radisson Hotel Of Freehold; 50 Gibson Place, Freehold, NJ 070728.
Lesli Bell, DPT, CLT-LANA: "Treating Breast Lymphedema" and "The Importance of Breath in Lymphedema Treatment"
Sandra Rosenberg, MD: "Untangling the Complexities of Lymphedema: Confounding Co-Morbidities"
Mark Smith, MD: "Surgical Options for the Management of Lymphedema"
Andrea Brennan, OTD OTR/L, CLT-LANA, WWC: Moderator for the Interactive Sessions
Linda Koehler, PhD, PT: "Axillary Web Syndrome: Unraveling the Mystery"
Maureen McBeth, MPT, LCT-LANA: "Obesity & Lymphedema"
CONTACT HOURS: 10 (or 11.5 with Optional Pre-Seminar Presentation).
OBJECTIVES CentraState Medical Center Freehold, NJ March 6-8, 2015
Participants learned to:
- Recognize breast lymphedema and trunk/chest wall congestion
- Understand scar tissue/radiation fibrosis management with manual and taping techniques
- Identify self-care options for patients
- Recognize and increase awareness of co-morbidities that impact the care of patients being treated for lymphedema
- Develop and modify lymphedema treatment to provide safer and more beneficial care to patients with complicated conditions
- Develop criteria to be able to implement plans for dealing with co-morbidities and having them addressed by the appropriate provider
- Understand the concept of vascularize lymph node transfer
- Identify the preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative evaluation of patients undergoing vascularized lymph node transfer
- Become familiar with Reverse Lymphatic Mapping and its use in minimizing the risk of donor site lymphedema in vascularized lymph node transfer
- Understand breathing mechanics as it relates to the sternum, ribs and transversus abdominus
- Recognize paradoxical breathing patterns
- Identify treatment techniques and self-care techniques to improve paradoxical breathing patterns
- Brainstorm and discuss methods and alternatives for various aspects of lymphedema treatment in a round table discussion
- Develop resources and networking connections with other lymphedema therapists
- Develop problem-solving and clinical reasoning skills for advanced level lymphedema treatment through interactive discussion with other lymphedema therapists
- Gain knowledge of the published literature and current research on AWS
- Understand the proposed theories regarding the etiology of AWS
- Understand clinical treatments for AWS and how they relate to the proposed theories
- Develop an understanding on how to assess for AWS and document findings
- Describe the general trends in worldwide obesity and their impact on healthcare and lymphedema therapist
- Understand the specific needs and safety measures needed for patients with lymphedema and morbid obesity
- Gain insight into the relevant research being done regarding lymphedema and morbid obesity
- Understand co-morbidities often associated with lymphedema and morbid obesity
- Develop an appreciation for the advanced treatment strategies