Networking & Educational Seminar
for Lymphedema Therapists
Woman's Hospital of Texas
February 7-9, 2014
LOCATION: Woman's Hospital of Texas, One Fannin Building - 6th floor, 7400 Fannin Street, Houston, TX 77054
Marjorie King, PhD, PT: "Breast Cancer Survivors and Exercise"
Janice Cormier, MD: "Update on Lymphatic Surgeries" & "Implications of Lymphedema on QOL of Melanoma Survivors"
Caroline Fife, MD: "Wound Care for the Lymphedema Patient: What's New?" & "The Patient with Big Legs: Lipedema or Lymphedema?"
Eva Sevick, PhD: "IC Green and Lymphatic Imaging: Implications for Practice"
Brad Smith, MS: "Head & Neck Lymphedema: How Does It Affect Patients?" & "Head & Neck Lymphedema: Setting up an Effective Home Program"
Shoosh Lettick Crotzer, MS: "Lymphatic Flow Yoga Series"
CONTACT HOURS: 10.25; or 11.75 with EXTRA Friday Presentation
TARGET AUDIENCE: OTs, OTAs, PTs, PTAs, RNs, MDs and other lymphedema therapists
SEMINAR PROGRAM SCHEDULE: see below (the format: LECTURE)
OBJECTIVES for HOUSTON, TX 2/7-9/2014
- Identify the body of literature related to the surgical treatment of lymphedema
- Understand the surgical options related to the treatment of lymphedema
- Discuss the potential complications and morbidities associated with each surgical procedure
- Identify risk factors for the development of lymphedema in melanoma patients
- Understand the differences in upper versus lower extremity lymphedema
- Identify the impact of lymphedema on the quality of life of melanoma survivors
- Provide a differential diagnosis for a patient with enlarged legs
- List the primary clinical features of lipedema
- List 3 diagnostic studies or tests which might be indicated depending on clinical history.
- List 3 wound care products which have antimicrobial properties
- Define the word "biofilm"
- Become familiar with an alternative to traditional culture in order to identify the bacteria present in biofilm
- Understand the importance of musculoskeletal rehabilitation in the recovery of Breast Cancer
- Understand the importance of exercise in the recovery from Breast Cancer
- Understand the need to return the cancer survival to their "optimal" new normal and not just a new normal through the use of exercise
- Brainstorm and discuss methods and alternatives for various aspects of lymphedema treatment in a round table discussion.
- Develop resources and networking connections with other lymphedema therapists
- Develop problem-solving and clinical reasoning skills for advanced level lymphedema treatment through interactive discussion with other lymphedema therapists
- Understand how adapted yoga can be beneficial for quality of life for those with lymphedema
- Identify the specific poses that are beneficial for improving lymphatic flow
- Apply the adapted poses into a specific sequence
- Describe a basic home program for management of head and neck lymphedema using self-complete decongestive therapy (Self CDT)
- Explain how H&N Lymphedema is more easily managed via home programs than edema affecting the extremities
- Outline the indications for home program management vs outpatient treatment in patients with H&N lymphedema.
- Identify relevant anatomy of the head and neck lymphatic system and the upper aerodigestive tract.
- Describe the effects of head and neck lymphedema on communication, swallowing, and psychosocial processes.
- Explain the most effective treatment options for management of H&N lymphedema
- Demonstrate the use of emerging NIRF lymphatic imaging techniques to visualize normal and diseased lymphatic function.
- Demonstrate how therapy (MLD and PCDs) impacts lymphatic function as seen with NIRF lymphatic imaging in Lymphedema subjects.
- Understand how imaging the lymphatics can be used to discover genetic causes of primary lymphedema.