Networking & Educational Seminar
for Lymphedema Therapists
Westin Lake Mary
North Orlando, FL
January 22-24, 2016
Friday, January 22 - Sunday noon, January 24, 2016
1-5:30 p.m.: Optional Pre-Seminar Workshop (4 contact hours)
5:30 - 8:00 p.m: Hors D'oeuvres & Wine Reception/ Exhibits/ Demos/ Registration
8:00 a.m. through 6:00 p.m.
8:00 a.m. through 12:00 p.m.
Westin Lake Mary, Orlando North
2974 International Parkway
Lake Mary, FL 32746
Andrea Brennan*, OTD, OTR/L, CLT-LANA, WCC: "Physiology Review for Lymphedema Therapists"
Eva Sevick, PhD: "Real-Time, Point-of-Care Imaging of the Lymphatics"
Lesli Bell, DPT, CLT-LANA: "Treating Breast & Truncal Lymphedema" and "Using the Breath in Lymphedema Treatment"
Nicole Stout, PT, DPT, CLT-LANA: "How New Coding Requirements Affect Lymphedema Therapy"
Shoosh Lettick Crotzer, MS: "Yoga for Lymphedema"
Maureen McBeth, MPT, CLT-LANA: "Advanced Treatment Techniques for Patients with Lymphedema & Obesity"
CONTACT HOURS: 10 (or 14 with Optional Friday Workshop)
Lymphedema Seminars is an Approved Provider #8208 for Continuing Education by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA). We are applying for CEUs for PTs in Florida and will provide Certificates of Completion. Check back for final approval news!
Participants learned to:
- Understand the anatomy of the lymphatic system
- Understand the physiology and pathophysiology of the lymphatic system
- Gain knowledge of the factors leading to edema/lymphedema formation
- Describe the general and emerging methods for imaging lymphatic anatomy and function
- Identify chronic conditions, other than lymphedema, that impaired lymphatic function can occur
- Identify "normal" and "abnormal" lymphatic anatomy and function
- Recognize breast lymphedema and trunk/chest wall congestion
- Understand scar tissue/radiation fibrosis management with manual and taping techniques
- Identify self-care options for breast and truncal lymphedema patients
- Understand breathing mechanics as it relates to the sternum, ribs and transversus abdominus
- Recognize paradoxical breathing patterns
- Apply techniques and self-care techniques to improve paradoxical breathing patterns
- Brainstorm and discuss methods and alternatives for various aspects of lymphedema treatment in a round table discussion.
- Develop resources and networking connections with other lymphedema therapists
- Develop problem-solving and clinical reasoning skills for advanced level lymphedema treatment through interactive discussion with other lymphedema therapists
- Understand how adapted yoga can be beneficial for quality of life for those with lymphedema
- Identify the specific yoga poses that are beneficial for improving lymphatic flow
- Apply the adapted yoga poses into a specific sequence
- Describe the general trends in worldwide obesity and their impact on healthcare and lymphedema therapy
- Understand the specific needs and safety measures needed for patients with lymphedema and morbid obesity
- Gain insight into the relevant research being done regarding lymphedema and morbid obesity
- Understand co-morbidities often associated with lymphedema and morbid obesity
- Develop an appreciation for the advanced treatment strategies for obese lymphedema patients
- Identify coding requirement changes that apply to lymphedema therapy
- Understand how changes in coding can affect lymphedema treatment protocols
- Establish lymphedema program policies and procedures that reflect current coding requirements